The Empowered Woman


The Empowered Woman
            “I failed the third grade not only could I not read or write, but I was a bully which distracted me from my learning”. Linda Chapa Lavia, an Hispanic woman broke down barriers to become the established woman she is today. Now, graduate from University of Chicago with a bachelors in political science and State Representative Chapa Lavia has made it through the toughest of challenges in her life to be the voice for youth especially young women. To encourage, Democracy, and to see more young women in higher up positions and to have a say in today’s political world.  
            Throughout her life, Chapa Lavia faced many instances of racism and sexism. “Being in the Army was terrible, being a woman and a minority, I was a double minority. I faced some racism but mostly sexism”. Says Chapa Lavia. Too many times do we see that even when women find themselves in higher and respected positions in the eyes of men and society women still fall too short. Chapa Lavia did, and still does fight to break away from the negative stigma of sexism and show that women can do any and everything they set their minds to.
            Not only did she face these terrible circumstances while serving in the military but, in her service as a State Representative. She often found doors slammed in her face by her own community for not only being a woman but for her ethnic background, “one called me a wetback another one, called me a spick and one told me to go back to where I came from”. She has often found herself face to face with ignorance and disrespect which, only lead her to keep fighting. She now has been in her position as a state representative for 17 years.
            Her road to success and her fight to the top was not easy, nor did she find the support she thought she’d receive from her fellow women counterparts. In many cases, she was held to the stereotypical gender roles placed upon women and was bashed for her decision for running for state representative “I was criticized and shockingly mostly by women, asking me things like, how could I do this to my family, especially my kids.” This, only pushed her to be better. “That’s when I knew I had to be a role model not only to my daughters but, to all young women that you can do this.” Every stereotype, every negative comment, every time a door was slammed in her face, she did not give up she used these as her outlets to continue to work hard and get to where she is today.
            “I just hope to inspire people and really make a difference, those are the days that make it count for me. Sometimes doing the right thing is really hard to do but, the thing that keeps me going is when people come up to me and tell me, you don’t know what you did when you wrote that letter of recommendation. That’s why I do what I do.”

Comments

Popular Posts