About Me

So my post about my mom raised a lot of questions about me. So here is 25 little facts about me and who I am.

  1. I am bi racial.
  2. My mom is Italian and my dad (If I ever figure out who he is, I refer to him as a sperm donor) is black.
  3. My favorite color(s) is purple and a nice burgundy or maroon
  4. Favorite food is sushi (surprise it’s not italian food).
  5. I am first generation in the U.S. My mom was born in Italy.
  6. I do know and understand Italian.
  7. I am currently a Sophomore at Aurora University.
  8. I am only child.
  9. I am very sarcastic.. :) (personally I think I’m funny)
  10. I drive an old rusted mini van who we named ol’ rusty or just rusty (I love my old rusted car with all my heart I don’t care)
  11. I LOOOOVEEEE to read and write (I love all kinds of books and always love recommendations).
  12. I am extremely family oriented.
  13. I have played softball for 10 years of my life (no I do not play for my university).
  14. I have a back condition called Spondylolisthesis.
  15. I love to bike ride.
  16. I love all kinds of hot chips.
  17. My nails are ALWAYS done. No ifs, ands, or buts about it my nails have to be done.
  18. I have a journal dedicated to my poems and writing.
  19. I work as a lifeguard over the summer (Literally the most fun job i’ve ever had).
  20. I live with my mom and nonna (grandma) when I am not on campus at school.
  21. I am HEAVILY involved on my campus (hence why I am always busy).
  22. I am terrible at math
  23. I am 5’1 (in my mind I am 6ft something).
  24. My favorite season is fall.
  25. I love fuzzy socks.

Another question I kept getting from everyone was, “how did your family or anyone for that matter not notice your mom was pregnant” or my favorite line, “that’s not true, there’s no way you were a surprise!” Well, guess what? I was. So I guess I’ll tell you all the story, like I said in my previous post my grandmother (who I love) is very prejudice and no my whole family isn’t racist. You have to understand which is something I had to learn to understand, my grandma comes from an era and a country of major discrimination, this has been instilled in her it’s not gonna just magically go away as much as I wish it would it just isn’t. Also, understand this she does not treat me any different than the rest of her grand children, I have never been looked at differently by her or loved less. To my grandma I am not black (talk about an identity crisis). So it wasn’t that I was mistreated by her it was that half of me was ignored, me being black has never been acknowledged by her. If you ask her I am not bi racial I am Italian, that’s it that’s all. Which yes is very difficult and as a kid it was hard for me to understand but it was one of those things I just had to live with but, my grandmother helped raise me, loves me dearly, I haved lived with her all my life, she taught me Italian and plays a significant role in who I am. I had to learn how to love a side of myself she simply never would and I have learned to be okay with that. So because my grandmother is the way she is, my mom was well aware that there was a strong possibility not only would my grandma be extremely upset with my mom but she may not accept me (luckily she does) my mom hide her pregnancy. Now how did noone notice? My mom was diagnosed with gestational diabetes while pregnant with me which means, she had to follow a strict diet, whereas most pregnant women are able to eat and gain weight my mom just looked like she was gaining and losing weight not pregnant. I was due the month of February but was born a month early, so while my mom thought she had time to tell my family and figure everything out I had other plans for her. Now as far as my father, my mom and him were never married and weren’t exactly a “happy couple” either in fact when my mom discovered she was pregnant they were no longer together. When she told my “dad” she was pregnant he gave the infamous excuse of not being ready but, my mom didn’t care what his answer was she was taking care of me with or without him. My mom’s water broke at a family party on New Year’s where she drove herself to the hospital and told noone where she was going. When she was basically missing for a day she called my aunt and told her she was having a baby (SURPRISE). Well because, I was so early they stopped labor and gave my mom a steroid that way things like my lungs would develop a little quicker. 4 days later I was born and, as you can imagine my grandmother was infuriated and she came to the hospital with every intention to dislike me but she fell in love with me.

So for everyone who just couldn’t understand how the hell I was a secret and why, I hope this answered some of those questions.             

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts