Love Letter From Tooth Brush to Bicycle Tire

It is has officially hit the end of my Freshman year of college, on to the next chapter and because I am so happy and this is my first post since February here is a cute poem from my favorite poet Sarah Kay.


Love Letter from Toothbrush to Bicycle Tire


They told me that I was meant for the cleaner life, that you would drag me through the mud. They said that you would tread all over me, that they could see right through you, that you were full of hot air, that I would always be chasing, always watching you disappear after sleeker models, that it would be a vicious cycle.

But I know better. I know about your rough edges and I have seen your perfect curves, and I will fit into any spaces you let me. If loving you means getting dirty, bring on the grime, I will leave this porcelain home behind. I’m used to twice a day relationships, but with you, I’ll take all the time. And I know, we live in different world and we’re always really busy.
But in my dreams, you spin around me so fast I always wake up dizzy. So maybe one day you’ll grow tired of the road and roll on back to me. And when I blink my eyes into the morning, your smile will be the only thing I see.



You may see a cute poem about a tooth brush speaking on its love for the bicycle tire (which it most certainly is) but when you actually look below the surface of the poem, it's about a relationship that no matter what conflict they are faced with they chose to like/love each other anyway. "If loving you means getting dirty, bring on the grime" I think often times everyone wants relationships to come easy or to be effortless and sometimes it just isn't, in a sense you have to "get dirty"

Comments

Popular Posts