3 Ways to Deal with Mental Illness in College

As you all are aware I am currently a student at Aurora University (so I am in college). For my writing for communications class (which I absolutely loved) we did a journalistic writing section (which is my minor) and I wrote an article on how to deal with mental illness in college. I even the opportunity, to speak with a very delightful, intelligent, beautiful young woman who also attends my school, who opened up to me about her own mental illness and what she has been through. I guess I should explain my reason behind picking the topic that I did, my freshman year of college was a huge adjustment (as for everybody) but I hit a very rough patch, that most days I did not want to leave my room and I felt as if I was drowning. I eventually knew I had to reach out to the school counselors and realized I am not the person who goes through depression. As I continue to better my mental health in positive ways I decided all students, all people should know, they are not alone and sometimes reaching out for help is one step to making things a little easier. so this is a helpful how to article on mental illness in college and I hope someone reads this and feels not so alone and decides to reach out to someone, anyone.


Daniella Digiulio
Writing for communications
3/22/17
3 Ways to Deal with Mental Illness in College
Imagine this: it is midterm week you have two exams, a paper due, a group project, and a presentation all in the same week. This is the schedule of many college students, now imagine this hectic schedule on top of a mental illness, that at times can be so crippling you are unable to move from your bed and you shut yourself off to the world. According to the National Network of Depression Centers (NNDC) more than 11 percent of college students have been diagnosed or treated for anxiety in the past year and, more than 10 percent reported being diagnosed or treated for depression, 7 percent of college students have seriously considered suicide. La’Rasea Norris Junior at Aurora University, has been diagnosed and treated for bipolar II and anxiety for a year of her college career but, has dealt with her mental illness since the age of nine due to the loss of her mother. La’Rasea currently sees an on-campus counselor twice a week, she has also received outside treatment and medication to help her cope with her illness. While she struggled with coping and telling her family that she needed help she knew she did the right thing with taking advantage of her resources and putting her mental health before her fears she expressed, “I was hospitalized for suicidal ideation because I kept thinking I don’t want to do this anymore, I am tired of being sad all the time but the counselors helped me realize it’s okay you came to get help and I was scared I was disappointing others and myself but I learned to cope.”  She talked about the positive effects of counseling and treatment had, not only on her personal life but academically, especially on the days that seemed so unbearable that she could not get up to go to class or, the days she couldn’t move from her bed to pick up her backpack and open up at least one book. Most days, school was the last thing on her mind. Her work load continued to grow and her mental health continued to fall apart she knew it was time for a change and now a year later could not be prouder of her decision to receive help. Her experience with mental illness and college has been a roller coaster ride with many trials and tribulations but, by taking the necessary steps to improve her mental health she has found healthy coping mechanisms. Mental illness is no joke and, should always be taken seriously being a student with mental illness is a challenge in itself. So here are 3 small ways to make a big difference in your mental health.
1.      Use your resources: College can be a huge transition, being away from home and starting a new life for yourself and having new responsibilities like school and work. Expert John Contreras Residence Hall Director makes it top priority that students feel safe and welcomed in their transition to college. With special programs on campus, counselors, and the Resident Assistants students have access to get the proper help 24 hours a day 7 days a week. In emergency cases, you are able to contact the campus Public Safety. The transition from high school to college can be overwhelming but it residence life’s job is to make this as smooth as possible. There are even housing accommodations for students who do have a mental illness and it is highly recommended for students to inform their Resident Assistants about their illness, to help the student in anyway. John communicates, “Currently we have an emotional support animal on campus to help support individuals that do have some mental discrepancies, and talking about it can definitely go a long way, so whether that is utilizing the wellness or counseling services, I have always been an advocate I have utilized it myself when I was a student. It is helpful to know you don’t have to do something alone.”
2.      Stay active: “I am staying busy because I like to stay active not because I am avoiding things I also workout and it makes me feel better.” Says, La’Rasea. Researchers have found that working out and staying active can actually help people prone to anxiety become less likely to panic. The body produces the same physical reactions while working out as a panic attack therefore this reduces the likely hood of a panic attack. So, partake in hands on activities and daily exercise such as walk or running to help ease anxiety attacks
3.      Maintaining healthy sleep patterns: Adults are required 8 hours of sleep per night. With mental illness, some may excessively sleep or not sleep at all. Depending on the severity of your mental illness some may be treated with medication to help regulate sleep patterns. According to the NNDC, “Sleeping more than 9 hours can trigger depression in certain people, and less than 7 can trigger mania in others.” While sleeping in college may seem impossible it’s vital in maintaining your mental health.

While there are many coping mechanisms for mental illness, these three simple ones are just the start. Do not hesitate in taking care of yourself especially in college. Use your resources, stay active, and regulate your sleeping patters and become one step closer to a healthier college experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts